9.19.2006

The Other Side Of The Lectern

Today is national talk like a pirate day. I'd like to think I did my part.

"Mr. Beauchamp, what is the thinking process of the reporter?"

Aaarrgh.

I gave my first exam today. As usual (?) students were trying to get last-minute answers out of me before D-Period began. Other students were hurriedly perusing their notes for little nuggets to commit to memory (rather than actually learning).

All in all I feel like the exam went well. I reviewed with the students last class period and told them more than they would need to know about what was going to make up the exam. I told them there would be about 50 questions and that the test would be worth 200 points. Groans all around. Shocked faces twisted in wonderment that I would dare make the average question worth four points. Where did I get off...? I quickly explained that there were 1350 points available in this course, and that I wanted the exams to be weighted accordingly. I said, "If you fail a test it will drop your overall grade by one letter." Good thing this is print news writing and not statistics.

As for the exam itself, I included just about every kind of question one could want. I started off with an oldie but a goody: multiple choice. Next, to set the mood right, I threw in a pinch of true/false, followed closely by a section of matching. To showboat I rustled up some short answer. The exam also included some listing, identification and I had the students write a lead based on six reported facts.

We'll see how the scores line up, but I think I made the test simple enough for everyone to pass if they put in a couple hours of study. But you never know with college students. I'm sure I'll hear a bevy of excuses come next Tuesday.

I just hope no one offers up "a touch of the scurvy."

3 Comments:

At September 20, 2006, Blogger James E. Miller said...

Sounds like a Gowen test. You are really working them, eh?

By the way, I didn't abuse that press pass. Nothing in journalism ethics says you can't enjoy the benefits of working as a member of the press. I did my job (observed, took notes, talked to people, shot a few photos), reported the story on my blog and had a good time doing it.

That, my friend, is the description of a happy, successful and ethical journalist.

Out.

 
At September 22, 2006, Blogger CE Butler said...

Good call Beach... an ethical journalist wouldn't have been wearing a goofy orange shirt.

 
At March 03, 2016, Blogger oakleyses said...

wedding dresses, abercrombie, louis vuitton, juicy couture, ugg pas cher, barbour, supra shoes, canada goose outlet, moncler, swarovski, canada goose uk, coach outlet store online, hollister, air max, moncler, canada goose jackets, converse shoes, canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, pandora charms, rolex watches, marc jacobs, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, ugg, moncler outlet, barbour, ugg, moncler, montre homme, gucci, swarovski crystal, canada goose, vans, sac lancel, thomas sabo, moncler, karen millen, moncler, ray ban, canada goose, pandora charms, sac louis vuitton, links of london, canada goose, ugg boots, louis vuitton uk, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, converse, ugg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home