9.24.2006

No Coencidence

I'm afraid my blog title makes me look like a pretentious jerk. I may still be a pretentious jerk (I hope not), but the blog title is not indicative of that.

Allow me to explain.

It has been years since I have written steadily. I decided about three years ago to pursue editing rather than writing. One can often make more money and ascend faster as an editor than a writer. For the past three years I have put correcting the poor writing of others above churning out the poor writing of myself. As one who loves to write, I feel the loss.

Most who know me recognize that I am a cinephile. My favorite collaborative pair behind the camera is the Coen brothers. They have written, directed and produced some of the more thought-provoking pictures I've ever seen. If the name doesn't strike a chord, they're responsible for "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", "Fargo" and "The Hudsucker Proxy." One of their harder-to-find films is "Barton Fink" — starring John Turturro as the titular character and John Goodman as his "friend" Charlie.

*** SPOILER WARNING *** Barton is a playwright who is beginning to earn praise on Broadway when he gets an offer to write for the moving pictures in Hollywood. Barton accepts and is told to write a formulaic wrestling flick for his first go-round. As he begins to write, distractions pile up, and he finds himself in writer's hell: He suffers a complete mental block. Charlie attempts to help Barton get his groove back. He also may be a serial killer. The Coens are notoroius for developing films that have multiple meanings; this is my interpretation: It is apparent in "Barton Fink" that Barton has found himself in hell (either literal or figurative). Charlie (who may be part of Barton's imagination or may be the devil himself) gives Barton his mind back. In the climactic scene, Charlie runs down a fiery hallway yelling, "Look upon me, and I'll show you the life of the mind!" After the exchange, Barton's pen is flowing again.

I titled my blog after Charlie's threat/warning/declaration. This blog represents an opportunity for me to exercise (exorcise) my writing mind. Hope this clarifies the matter. I am no mind, I am just trying to know mine.

*** CINEPHILE PRATTLE WARNING *** I warned earlier of spoilers, but I didn't give away enough of the film to keep someone from watching. I invite anyone to see the film and judge for himself or herself what the relationships, settings and events in the picture represent.

7 Comments:

At September 25, 2006, Blogger James E. Miller said...

Hey, man. I am glad you are blogging. I had the pleasure of reading your writing for four years, and I always enjoyed it.

Keep up the practice. Remember what you must do in order to be a good writer?

-Read good writing
-Emulate it
-Keep practicing

 
At September 26, 2006, Blogger CE Butler said...

You know you misspelled ... uh, never mind. I get it now.

 
At September 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barton Fink... great movie. You've motivated me to watch it again.

 
At March 03, 2016, Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, air max, louis vuitton outlet stores, louis vuitton outlet, uggs outlet, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, air max, longchamp handbags, rolex watches, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, replica watches, michael kors outlet online sale, oakley sunglasses cheap, louboutin outlet, louis vuitton handbags, gucci outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin, oakley sunglasses, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, cheap uggs, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, uggs, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, jordan shoes, ugg boots clearance, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet

 
At March 03, 2016, Blogger oakleyses said...

coach outlet store online, michael kors uk, new balance pas cher, michael kors outlet, north face, abercrombie and fitch, ralph lauren, nike air force, vanessa bruno, kate spade handbags, nike roshe run pas cher, air jordan, true religion jeans, louboutin, vans pas cher, sac guess, air max, hollister, sac burberry, michael kors, north face, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, air max, timberland, longchamp, nike air max, nike tn, converse pas cher, polo lacoste, coach outlet, true religion outlet, hogan outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, michael kors pas cher, replica handbags, ray ban pas cher, nike free pas cher, coach purses, hollister, oakley pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer, true religion outlet, lululemon outlet online, true religion jeans, air max pas cher, nike roshe, mulberry, sac hermes

 
At March 03, 2016, Blogger oakleyses said...

wedding dresses, abercrombie, louis vuitton, juicy couture, ugg pas cher, barbour, supra shoes, canada goose outlet, moncler, swarovski, canada goose uk, coach outlet store online, hollister, air max, moncler, canada goose jackets, converse shoes, canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, pandora charms, rolex watches, marc jacobs, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, ugg, moncler outlet, barbour, ugg, moncler, montre homme, gucci, swarovski crystal, canada goose, vans, sac lancel, thomas sabo, moncler, karen millen, moncler, ray ban, canada goose, pandora charms, sac louis vuitton, links of london, canada goose, ugg boots, louis vuitton uk, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, converse, ugg

 
At June 23, 2016, Blogger 柯云 said...

2016-06-24keyun
louis vuitton handbags
adidas superstar shoes
louis vuitton outlet online
christian louboutin shoes
coach factory outlet
mont blanc pen
oakley outlet
adidas trainers
cheap oakleys
coach outlet store online clearances
kobe shoes
louis vuitton
nike roshe run
toms shoes outlet
retro 11
coach outlet
michael kors outlet online
air jordan femme
designer handbags
replica rolex watches
timberlands
coach factory outlet online
polo ralph lauren outlet
asics running shoes
jordan concords
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet
ray bans
gucci bags
coach outlet store online
toms wedges
nike free uk
supra footwear
adidas wings
michael kors purses
cheap oakley sunglasses
cheap toms shoes
michael kors purses
jordan 6s

 

Post a Comment

<< Home