3.28.2007

Jeremy's Book Club

Oprah is ripping me off.

I'm watching Oprah announce her next book club selection: you guessed it, the best book of all time, "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

Only one person listened to me when I offered up my unsolicited literary opinion. Now that Oprah's gotten behind me, I really think my suggestion will take wing. Thanks Oprah.

A lot of McCarthy fans (and yes, there is a Web site; and yes, I am a member) are a little displeased with her selection, fearing that it will take away something from the massive accomplishment that this book is. I am pleased. Not only will McCarthy get paid for the exposure, but he has also agreed to give his first-ever television interview. This is the guy who has agreed -- to my knowledge -- to only two interviews ever: one a couple years ago with Vanity Fair and one just preceding the publication of "All the Pretty Horses" with the New York Times.

Some have said Oprah's housewife book brigade will miss the point of the book. This kind of literary elitism is atrocious. I would, however, be surprised if half as many people who buy the book will actually finish it, as it's probably the most bleak and unflinching book many will ever read (until you read the rest of McCarthy).

For those who do finish, the experience is highly rewarding. I re-read the book over spring break and was shocked at how much of the incredible imagery I missed during the first go-round. This is definitely a book I will re-read throughout my life. After the first reading, I went on a bit of a Cormac bender. In the past six months since I bought "The Road" on a whim, I read all of McCarthy's other books and even a play. McCarthy started his career in the Southern gothic tradition and then moved largely to the West. The West, in my opinion, is where he thrives. If you read "The Road" read it slowly (and with the lights on).

McCarthy to Me
1. The Road
2. Blood Meridian: Or Evening Redness in the West
3. The Crossing
4. Outer Dark
5. All the Pretty Horses
6. Cities of the Plain
7. Child of God
8. Suttree
9. No Country for Old Men
10. The Orchard Keeper

2 Comments:

At March 03, 2016, Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, air max, louis vuitton outlet stores, louis vuitton outlet, uggs outlet, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, air max, longchamp handbags, rolex watches, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, replica watches, michael kors outlet online sale, oakley sunglasses cheap, louboutin outlet, louis vuitton handbags, gucci outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin, oakley sunglasses, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, cheap uggs, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, uggs, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, jordan shoes, ugg boots clearance, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet

 
At March 03, 2016, Blogger oakleyses said...

coach outlet store online, michael kors uk, new balance pas cher, michael kors outlet, north face, abercrombie and fitch, ralph lauren, nike air force, vanessa bruno, kate spade handbags, nike roshe run pas cher, air jordan, true religion jeans, louboutin, vans pas cher, sac guess, air max, hollister, sac burberry, michael kors, north face, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, air max, timberland, longchamp, nike air max, nike tn, converse pas cher, polo lacoste, coach outlet, true religion outlet, hogan outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, michael kors pas cher, replica handbags, ray ban pas cher, nike free pas cher, coach purses, hollister, oakley pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer, true religion outlet, lululemon outlet online, true religion jeans, air max pas cher, nike roshe, mulberry, sac hermes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home