10.16.2006

Books>Movies

I bought Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" the other day. I have never read any of Mr. McCarthy's other novels ("No Country For Old Men," "All The Pretty Horses"), but the book flap hooked me.

DIGRESSION
I don't generally read fiction but every so often it is a nice distraction. I had begun three nonfiction books before I decided I needed a distraction. I call my tendency nonfunktion. It's when I start several nonfiction books but get stuck (in a funk) before I can finish. Usually a good fiction can kick out the funk. (In case anyone cares, I was reading a biography of the "number"/idea zero, "The Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson and "The Education Of Henry Adams" by Henry Adams.)

BACK ON TOPIC
"The Road" revolves around an unnamed father and son who are trying to survive against all hope following nuclear war. I won't describe more of the novel other than to say that it is extremely bleak (so far) and horrifyingly realistic (as far as my notions of nuclear fallout go). The story is rather relevant following a certain tyrant's recent nuclear testing.

It is like finding a pearl in a mollusk when you run across a book that make you feel strong emotions. I've never read any Stephen King or R.L. Stine (ha) so I'm not used to feeling fear when I read a book. Oftentimes I have felt tension, but reading "The Road" before bed last night completely wore me out. The descriptions and horrors were so palpable I had trouble turning out the light. I'm still thinking about it today -- a lot -- and I haven't even finished it.

I can't fully endorse the book until I've finished it, but if you have a strong stomach and are in the mood to be totally depressed, give "The Road" a turn.

Full Beauchamp endorsement: "Gilead" -- Marilynne Robinson; "Devil In White City" -- Erik Larson; "Short History Of Nearly Everything" -- Bill Bryson.

Update
In the time between the original post and this update (Oct. 27), I have finished "The Road" and McCarthy's "No Country For Old Men." I've also begun "All The Pretty Horses."

Simply put, "The Road" is a masterpiece. It is absolutely required reading. McCarthy can be maddening; he doesn't use puncuation unless meaning would be lost by its exclusion, and it can be difficult to determine who is talking as he uses a running dialogue. He doesn't write down what his characters are thinking apaart from what they say and how they do something. Hence, it is sometimes confusing to understand their intentions and motivations. Still, this is probably the most important book I've read in the last decade (and I'm only 25).

Read it. Experience it. Don't let me oversell it.

(Too late)

9 Comments:

At October 16, 2006, Blogger Mark said...

What I've found to help me stay out of Funks is that I like to read books of short stories. Philip K. Dick is my favorite, though I also enjoy Edgar Allen Poe. Poe's philosophy was that someone should never write anything longer than what could be enjoyed in one sitting. Now that I think about it, Jimmy Buffet (yes, that Jimmy Buffet) has a book of short stories that is actually really good reading.

I'm glad to know you're reading.

 
At October 19, 2006, Blogger Kenny Simpson said...

Jeremy, this is Kenny Simpson. How are you doing? Where are you now?

 
At October 20, 2006, Blogger Jamey said...

Hey, it's Jamey too! How's Ashlee? I'm glad you guys are engaged! When is the big day?

 
At November 04, 2006, Blogger James E. Miller said...

UPDATE YOUR BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At November 11, 2006, Blogger Dr. Burt said...

BEACHSTER, let's play some tennis ... drburt

 
At November 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with jim!!!

 
At November 14, 2006, Blogger J. Beauchamp said...

I'll update when somebody reads this book!

 
At March 03, 2016, Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, air max, louis vuitton outlet stores, louis vuitton outlet, uggs outlet, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, air max, longchamp handbags, rolex watches, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, replica watches, michael kors outlet online sale, oakley sunglasses cheap, louboutin outlet, louis vuitton handbags, gucci outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin, oakley sunglasses, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, cheap uggs, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, uggs, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, jordan shoes, ugg boots clearance, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet

 
At March 03, 2016, Blogger oakleyses said...

wedding dresses, abercrombie, louis vuitton, juicy couture, ugg pas cher, barbour, supra shoes, canada goose outlet, moncler, swarovski, canada goose uk, coach outlet store online, hollister, air max, moncler, canada goose jackets, converse shoes, canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, pandora charms, rolex watches, marc jacobs, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, ugg, moncler outlet, barbour, ugg, moncler, montre homme, gucci, swarovski crystal, canada goose, vans, sac lancel, thomas sabo, moncler, karen millen, moncler, ray ban, canada goose, pandora charms, sac louis vuitton, links of london, canada goose, ugg boots, louis vuitton uk, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, converse, ugg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home